Old 06-18-21, 03:26 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I respect the discourse but the clarification I would like to make is I have nothing but respect for the local bike shops as well as the distributors. My concern is with how the manufacturers can allow these back doors to exist and our businesses suffer while others are unfairly benefiting.
That's how business is done in Asia. Even the biggest companies in the world (think $100B+ in sales) still will do special deals if someone shows up with a suitcase of money and they have a relationship with someone who can make it happen. Seen it happen all the time over decades especially at month end. I doubt it will ever change and I can't imagine Shimano is any different. I agree, it's infuriating but doubtful it will change anytime soon.

On factory lube - friction facts looked at that a while ago and found that factory lube is not great. It's primary purpose is to protect the shelf life of the chain and prevent oxidation of the metals while at the same time providing lubrication. If you want the slickest running chain, clean it off and lube with top end lube with the wax based ones being best - which also means you really have to clean that chain because the oils in the OEM lube coating is not compatible with waxes.

Oh, and Competitive Cyclist has Shimano DA chains now for $52. I just bought one.
Likes For JohnJ80: