canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I have several action cameras and they will all take a still photo but only one that has a wrist mounted remote control ... the CooAU action camera. In addition to a lot of other neat features, it also has the best image stabilization of my action cameras. No where near the cost of a Gopro. I have no vested interest in this company, but I do recommend the camera.

Helmet with LED headlight and Explorer One camera
I have the VanTop Moment 4, very similar. That basic camera model is sold under a few different brands, with slightly different configurations and extras. Excellent values in action cameras, well under $100, usually closer to $50 with a bunch of mounts, remote, etc. My only complaint is it's not what I wanted in a traffic documentation camera for long rides. It came with two batteries, 90 minute runtime each, but some of my rides are much longer than that. And in the end it was a hassle setting up the weatherproof housing, which muffles the microphone and makes it impossible to hear the audible cues when I stopped and started the camera.

I still use it occasionally and it's lightweight enough that I don't notice it on my helmet. But I prefer the Drift Ghost X for routine ride documentation.

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I tried mounting an action camera on the handlebars but it took too much software editing to calm the shaking down from the non-suspension bike to get a video worth watching.
Yeah, it's harder to tame the vibration on front mounted cameras. I run two Drift Ghost X -- which have no image stabilization -- front and rear. The rear facing camera is consistently steady with very little road vibration. The front mounted camera has a bit more vibration but not too bad. The trick is a mount that doesn't flex too much and clamps as near center as possible and as low as possible. I mount it to the stem, upside down, so it's below handlebar height. The Drift Ghost X has a ring around the lens that reorients the sensor, so when the camera is upside down it still records right side up.

Some folks mount cameras on the fork or seat stays, which further reduces problems with image stabilization. But it's harder to keep the lens clear and clean in anything less than perfect weather.

The weakness in most action cameras is the mounts. And we have to choose between the GoPro influenced mounting systems, and everything else that uses standard camera tripod sockets. The GoPro style mounts vary in quality, with some knockoffs that break after one or two uses. But when the mounts are good quality they hold securely.

The Drift Ghost cameras have a good basic mounting shoe system that locks the mount/shoe into place -- crucial with standard tripod socket bolt that can loosen easily with vibration. But the other Drift mounts are just oh-kay. The basic mounts are made to be affixed to a helmet, and that works great with motorcycle helmets, but it's hit or miss with bicycle helmets. The handlebar mounts and other mounts are a bit of a kludge. I use them but I always wish they were handier to swap between bikes. Those clunky thumbscrews are a PITA.
Likes For canklecat: