View Single Post
Old 06-22-21, 04:51 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 575 Posts
Teaching yourself wheelbuilding is a great idea. You should do it

Helicomatic is not a great system. See Sheldon Brown's article on it.

So the hub is broken? Why not rebuild the wheel with a freehub? That would modernize things nicely. Spread the frame to 130 or 135 and bob's your uncle, you have a modern machine, impervious to axle breakage and relatively future-proof. Shifting will improve too, with a hyperglide cassette. You can even find 126 spaced freehubs for hyperglide, if you look hard enough. You can take 7 of 8-speeds or 8 of 9-speeds and put them on there, to get a nice modern drivetrain with 126 spacing.

If you REALLY want to go ahead with Helicomatic, I think I have a couple hub shells and a cone or two I can send you if you make me a shipping label. Don't spend real money on that stuff!

Last edited by scarlson; 06-22-21 at 04:57 PM.