View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 08:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
LarrySellerz, you rock. I love how you’re the total anti-racerboi. You can ride with me anytime. In fact, I know of a weekly late night group ride that you’d fit right into.

I’m not surprised at all that the club asked you to go somewhere else. As I started into this thread, I wondered why they’d insist you have a biking kit or jersey. (The helmet and waiver I understand.) As more of the story comes out, I realize it’s not a particular kind of shirt they’re looking for, they just don’t want you shirtless. And there may be valid reasons for that.

I think of the guy on a $15k Pinarello. He’s decked out with 12 speed wireless electronic shifting, hydraulic disc brakes, an $800 kit never more than one season old, and lots of gear from Rapha. All the carbon fiber and titanium accessories. (And don’t forget the Garmin Edge 5 million XL+ Plus, to show Strava where he rode!)...

That guy is legit, usually. Probably can hold his own at a spirited club ride or amateur race. But so can some guys on a 5 year old Specialized aluminum frame, with Tiagra group, a lock cable wrapped around the seat post and a Bell bell clamped to the handlebar...

And then there are the guys like you, my friend, who are just as capable athletically and get just as much enjoyment from jumping on their damn bike and riding, as often as possible.

Don’t ever stop Larry-ing! Those guys in the club have their thing covered, but who’s going to do, um... what you’re about? That’s right—no one else.

(I kind of imagine you after your ride calling to Peter in the apartment next door to check out the breast exam on channel 9.)
Thanks man, i'm living in the bay area so most of the cyclists are relatively rich professionals, I try to bring that working class energy to the table. Used to deliver food and we have our own distinct minimalist culture thats just as silly as the roadie lycra culture. A lot of people get a kick out of seeing me out there defying the conspicuous consumption that seems to me to be a relatively recent trend in cycling (could be wrong about that). Some people forget that for most people cycling is a poor mans transportation to get from point A to point B. I have nothing against the roadie look and think fat dudes on 15k bikes are killing it even if they aren't fast, hell I might join them if I actually get to the point where I feel my bike is holding me back

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-24-21 at 08:39 PM.