View Single Post
Old 06-27-21, 03:49 PM
reddevilsbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a quick update - I test rode multiple bikes yesterday including Rove AL, Sutra, Sutra ULTD, Cosmic Stallion, Warbird GRX and Checkpoint SL5. The first key learning was the wrong size I was given earlier to test the first 3 bikes (Rove, Giant Revolt 2...), which were 54. Size 52 works much better for me and thankfully no more sore bottom after test riding each of these 6 bikes for 15-20 mins.

My LBS also had Rove DL frame, so considered building it with same specs as to Rove LTD but the owner suggested against it given difficulty in sourcing parts and likely 10%-15% higher cost vs fully spec'ed bike.

It finally came down to Sutra ULTD and Cosmic Stallion. First on Sutra ULTD, what a bike! Seriously it felt like you're driving on a flat surface irrespective of the terrain, thanks to those 2.25" tires. Extremely comfortable and dropper function seems handy while trying to come to a full halt. Think it lacked top acceleration though not a slow bike in any sense as well as felt like there were bigger jumps between gears due to 1x drivetrain.

So, ended up buying Cosmic Stallion GRX! Pics soon. I simply loved riding the bike....something I can see myself spending a lot of seat time on! What I really liked was that the bike felt stable and comfortable as well as great acceleration and cornering abilities. While test riding all these bikes, I realized Shimano worked better for me vs SRAM along with preference for smaller jumps on the 2x drivetrain. As a new biker who is still learning, thought smaller jumps made it more intuitive and easy when moving from flat to uphill terrain.

Thanks to everyone who provided their input, really appreciate it!! And I agree with Rolla , while test riding all these bikes felt like Kona ones are very well made! I definitely wanted to get one (was a difficult decision to not buy the ULTD) but lack of inventory is crazy right now. Really happy with the purchase and hoping to ride it for the next few years with no major upgrades planned!!
Likes For reddevilsbiker: