Old 07-02-21, 10:27 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I don't think so - I would expect some noise or clatter as the new chain engaged with what I think is a worn chainring (that alone would be enough to make me replace the chainring). I suppose the teeth could ultimately become so worn and "hooked" that you'd start to experience chain suck, where the chain wouldn't disengage at the bottom of the chainring, but you're nowhere near that, and that's not the problem you're reporting.

BTW a 46T big ring should be well within the capabilities of your standard FD - it is can push the chain off the small ring (36?), it can push the chain off a 46. Just make sure that your FD cage is close (~2 mm) to the top of the teeth when on the big ring - hard to tell from the pics, but it looks a little high to me.

It's also possible that the after-market rings are spaced sufficiently differently from the original Shimanos that it's throwing off the front shifting. However, I'm assuming that the shifting was OK until you replaced the chain and cassette, so slightly off chainring spacing. Do you still have the original rings? Could you reinstall them, measure the ring spacing and compare it with that of the new rings?
I no longer have the original chainring, but it was a 50t Shimano 105 5700 chainring. My current chainring is a 46t FSA Pro Road chainring. Also, my small chainring is 34t.

Originally Posted by zandoval
Evidently you are replacing the chain rings because they look a little worn. If so then do all the components. Really it looks like its a front derailuer problem and a slightly worn ring.
Are you suggesting that I replace the front derailleur be replaced as well? If so, would a cyclocross front derailleur work better with a 46t chainring than a road front derailleur?

Also, I'm debating whether or not to just get new chainrings or a crankset as well. A new crankset wouldn't cost that much more than getting the chainrings. I've had my current cranks for over six years. If I'm not currently having problems with the crankset, should I replace it as a preventative measure? Or do cranks last for a very long time?

Last edited by AMoney; 07-02-21 at 10:33 AM.