View Single Post
Old 07-05-21, 06:14 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I have the same saddles on my gravel and road bike. Fit is as similar as I can dial in giving different frame geo's, crank length, pedal type. I typically keep my long rides under 100km, and on my road bike those 80km+ rides leave my butt only the slightest bit uncomfortable. On my gravel bike, when riding mixed terrain, I'm sometimes more sore at that distance...but that can be due to the terrain (even though I run tubeless, low pressure, and get out of the saddle quite a bit). The other day I actually had some chafing; however, I also had a beach day afterwards with an 1hr ride there and back wearing a damp bathing suit (back), so that could have been the cause (but the chaffing was on the sit bones). So now I'm wondering if somehow, for me, I need a different style of saddle for gravel rides? I'm not going to make a rash decision, as I'm hoping the chafing was due to the beach day (damp bathing suit), but I'm not sold on the saddle. My main concern would be numbness and any issues down below, and (knock on wood) I've had zero such issues with this saddle, so this is really only a minor gripe...
100k on road could be a 3 hour ride.

100k on gravel could be a 6 hour ride... Distance =/= time in saddle

You also generally have a lot more bumps / vibrations in off-road riding, which causes more friction / impact on your sit bones and soft tissues