View Single Post
Old 07-06-21, 09:46 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Unless USPS was in the correct turning lane, and made the right turn into a (possibly clear?) crossing. If I were making that turn in a truck, I would scan for pedestrians in the crossing ahead before proceeding, but it's possible that I wouldn't be able to see a cyclist zipping up behind (and in my blind spot) to squeeze past inside me, esp if they're moving at a clip.

There's a "protected" lane along Brooklyn's very busy 4th Ave where large trucks are constantly making right turns, looking ahead at a clear crossing but without checking that a bike is keeping pace with them and about to go under their turning wheels.

Regrettable as it is, I have to ride around and *assume* that every driver hasn't seen me, and is about to turn across me. Spending a full day riding on the railtrails out of the city is a joyful break from all that!

Originally Posted by cudak888
Thanks for reminding me of that - I completely forgot that NYC is one of the few sensible places in the US with no RTOR's.

I'd point out that a protected intersection is safer than that, but it does suggest that the driver of the postal truck went out of their way to break the traffic laws to right hook the rider there. Not surprising.

-Kurt