View Single Post
Old 07-08-21, 12:20 PM
Alan_F

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", DaVinci Symbiosis XC 29", Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't checked the forum in a while, so this advice may be a bit late, but as a multi-DaVinci owner (some 4x, some 3x drivetrains) I recommend that you upgrade from your chain whip to the Park Tool CP-1.2 Bicycle Cassette Pliers. These allow you to grab the smallest or middle 'chainring' cog from both sides so it doesn't slip and they're long enough to give you pretty good leverage. With these and the special DaVinci tool (and a 12" adjustable wrench) I no longer dread taking the intermediate shaft apart.

Edit: If I were buying a tool today I'd definitely consider the Pedros Cassette Removal Tool Vise Whip II which lock closed. They look like a regular set of vice grips with jaws that grab onto the cog. Or for a few $$ less the Feedback Sports Cassette Pliers look to be more adjustable than the Park CP 1.2.

Last edited by Alan_F; 07-08-21 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added info
Likes For Alan_F: