3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23063 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 4,588 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano View Post
Yeah, I've had several Treks with the destructo version, that suffered a similar demise as yours, including two new Treks, bought by my brother and myself, back in 1984. They lasted less then a year, from new. I now generally consider those throw away wheels, as the rims, spokes, & helico freewheel aren't that great either. But now I've got a low mileage '83 720, with the 700 series helico's, wider matrix rims & stainless spokes, and they're smooth as butter, really, so I'm trying to decide whether to tempt fate and ride them, or just go ahead and sell them (just the hubs) to some helicomatic fanatic, while they're still in such pristine condition.
...I have a low mileage 720, bought years ago, from someone who thrashed one of the wheels and then stuck the bike over in the corner of his garage. It was repairable, he just never got someone to do it. I kept the Helicomatic hubs on it, because it was just easier. I would not use it as a touring bike with those wheels, though. If something goes wron in the vicinity of home, it's not a big deal to fix it, or build new wheels. In a campground at Seldom Seen, WV, on touir, it's a whole different thing

Originally Posted by sd5782 View Post
Jon T, that is interesting on your well used PH10LE. One thought that occurred to me was the small bearings weren’t up to the weight they needed to carry. You frame is larger, indicating you are larger, so that theory bites the dust. Hobbiano references his proper upkeep and failures too.

What’s left? Quality of factory bearings and cones? Quality replacement bearings? Magic dust, or karma? It is encouraging to see one positive report of good luck with this hub. Funny that the steel bits would go as compared to the softer and seemingly more fragile aluminum body.
......what I noticed in working on the Helicomatics on which I've worked, is that it's difficult to properly adjust the rear wheel bearings, because there's some overlap of the Helicomatic freehub body that prevents me from getting a cone wrench on that side, so I have to do the final adjustment from just one side. Which I do not like. I don't know if this is a problem with all of them, or just the ones I've seen. Which is not that many.