View Single Post
Old 07-09-21, 02:13 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782 View Post
What’s left? Quality of factory bearings and cones? Quality replacement bearings? Magic dust, or karma? It is encouraging to see one positive report of good luck with this hub. Funny that the steel bits would go as compared to the softer and seemingly more fragile aluminum body.
I have some sort of Shimano cone that I think is a pretty good match for the Helicomatic ones. I think it is from the FH-3500 Sora rear hub. By eye, it looks like it would work, but I could throw it into a hub body to test, if time and sanity permit (and if I can round up enough of the odd-sized bearings). I could send it to you if you want to do some science experiments with your hub and rule out the cones, but you'll have to promise to actually ride on the thing enough to give results!

I can also teach you some good French swear words if you like. That is easier. Or Québecois ones. Those are even more fun.