Old 07-13-21, 02:51 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
I normally ride in Prospect park. It's a 20 minute ride from my house to the park. I leave at 530am, so no traffic, no stress. I normally wake up at 5am. The last 2 longish rides were up the west side greenway to the gwb and the other was laps in Central park. Ordered some electrolyte powder and I've got Clif bars. I have done the 9W ride in the past. I might try that on Sunday weather permitting and fully accept that I'll be a bit fatigued.

In the last 30 days I've got a little over 400 miles. So yeah maybe I am overtraining. It's kind of addictive to see the pounds melt off me and almost be able to fit my 155lb summer clothes.
There's definitely a bit of street riding to get to the West Side Greenway, even if you dive east under the bridges and go past South Street Seaport. Stopping and starting at intersections is definitely a bit harder than steady state.

I would say try the electrolyte powder, especially on hotter, sunnier days. Water by itself doesn't necessarily cut it if you're sweating out large amounts of salts. I laid down 75 miles on two laps of 9W/Palisades Park + a few laps of Central Park one ride a few years back, on a day that ended up in the low 90F/33C range mid-day. By the time I got back to Central Park, I was so tapped out of electrolytes that I spent some ridiculous amount of money at a tourist stand for two bottles of Gatorade. Chugged one right there, filled my bottle with the other - got my body to a place where it could do the last 10 miles of my ride.

Anyway, if you're explicitly riding to lose weight, you will definitely get tired as your body uses up all the glycogen in your bloodstream. However, if you're riding for enjoyment and trying to beat your best times - make sure you're well fueled and properly hydrated and get back to us.

And at 5'10"... I haven't seen 167lbs since high school. And considering how skinny I felt at 171 lbs (a decade ago), I'd say you're perfectly fine. Not everyone can be a 138lbs professional climbing waif.
Likes For aliasfox: