View Single Post
Old 07-15-21, 06:57 PM
Alan_F

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", DaVinci Symbiosis XC 29", Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As Joint Venture said, the threading on the lockring is standard 'lefty loosie, righty tighty'. Make sure you keep the lockring spanner lined up when you start increasing the torque as they can slip off the side easily... at least the spanner I use can do that if I'm not careful.

DaVinci probably has torque specs for the lockring on their website, but it doesn't need to be crazy tight. It is preventing the chainrings from moving laterally, but they are held in place against drive forces by their splines. Once you get it removed, cleaned, and greased it will probably be a lot easier to remove the next time you need to do it. I just had to replace a bent middle chainring and the lockring (last removed about 6 months prior) came off pretty easily.

I just replaced all 3 chains (and the damaged middle ring) and silenced a creak from the captain's bottom bracket (it needed the non-fixed cup tightened) and our drivetrain is pretty much like new right now. As we approach 10,000 miles on our current Joint Venture I'm still impressed by how well the 3x11 Di2 works.