Old 07-15-21, 09:50 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Based on some of the discussion here it seems like, in general there is some amount of difficulty in getting the tension of the timing belt or chain consistent throughout a full crank rotation. It seems that many of us that use belts (and maybe chains, too) have discovered that it's okay to run them at a little lower tension to avoid the problem of them being over tensioned at certain angles and that there appears to be no ill affect in doing it that way.

I used the Gates app and strumming the belt, but as I approached the correct frequency I noticed the timing cranks got harder to turn and nearly didn't spin at all when I gave them a good push. Lowering the tension a bit, but not enough to have the belt come off the cogs, allowed the cranks to spin a lot longer.

If it is the varying belt tension that's eating up bottom brackets, maybe just run them a little looser? I don't know. I would bet that the bearing in this Comotion are original from 2006. In any case, we've probably put another 6-8,000 miles on it (at least 3000 since we put the belt on) and they seem to still be good. Maybe I should pull out my dial indicator and check if I'm on the ball or not.