View Single Post
Old 07-20-21, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Gear is a MUCH better word. Kit is a bit too cute for my taste. Gosh.. I'm so "continental" as I frequently use the word, kit. "Kit" usage came from the EU(UK)..and should have stayed there.

Gear and gears is only confused by those where English is not their first language. A non-(native) English speaker often uses "equipments" where "equipment" is the correct choice. Non-native English speakers being confused by English is normal (as are those speaking many foreign, to them, languages)

So if your objection is that it's "too cute" and apparently, too British, we are really differing on esthetic grounds and there really is no point in arguing taste. I don't see the stretch from "tool kit" (a very familiar phrase to Americans) to "cycling kit" as anything significant, and I also don't think one has to be a non-native speaker to mishear "gears" for "gear" in conversation.

You want to get me started on an unnecessary, pretentious borrow-word, mention "bidon".