SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I usually leave it soaking in hot wax overnight. I'll stir the chain around a bit once or twice, just gently hooking a link with a chopstick, whatever, and stirring it while avoiding splashing.
That seems like a long time!

After cooling some wax may flake off the chain. I just ride immediately and let it flake off outdoors.
Do the wax flakes stick on your bike or fall off during the ride?

The hard part if degreasing the new chain. That's a real PITA and probably the most significant factor hindering more people from waxing ...
Yeah, that has been my experience so far.

The Oz dude on YouTube has extensive videos on chain waxing. Most of it is good, based on previous research by Friction Facts and others. My only beef with Oz dude is his rather casual use of gasoline as a solvent in an indoor workshop around electrical outlets and other equipment. That kinda thing makes my spidey-sense tingle. I'm a former OSHA safety inspector, and have investigated fatalities and horrific burn injuries caused by carelessness around gasoline and even diesel fuel. And a family friend died of burns back in the 1960s from tossing gas on a brush fire that wasn't burning fast enough to suit him.

Usually what happens is the vapor pressure surrounds us with flammable vapor near ground level. Even if we think we've set the gas can at a safe distance... nope. Safe distance is much farther away than we'd realize. The vapor ignites, surrounding us. We panic and jump or run, knocking over the gas container -- assuming we weren't stupid enough to actually be holding a coffee can full of gas and slosh it over ourselves in a panic. Boom. We're toast.
Yep, that is why I was really reluctant to use gasoline, or even camping stove fuel, even though other volatile organic solvents are so hard to come by in the South Coast Air Quality Management District, i.e., southern California.