Old 02-23-06, 02:46 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sheldon's wheel lists at $100, and has a better hub (sealed-bearing IRO/Formula) and a cheaper rim: Weinmann single-wall, no eyelets; the Sun M13II used on the NYC Bikes wheel is double-wall with eyelets. The Weinmann rim is wider than the Sun rim,though, and makes more sense for use with standard 27*1 1/4 tires. 32 spokes instead of 36 on the NYC wheel. Sheldon's wheel is probably built up better than the NYC Bikes wheel, too.

I meant "overall positive" in the sense that I didn't have any problems with the order, and the wheel was okay. No big negatives, of the sort that people seem to hate NYC Bikes for. In retrospect, the wheel isn't great, I'm going to open up the hub and probably repack it too - it's not a great hub (and honestly, I think high-flange isn't a worthwhile thing with modern wheels, because it's not necessary to keep spokes from breaking, and it increases the angle at which spokes leave the rim; but that's another topic for another time).

I wouldn't recommend the NYC Bikes wheel to someone without wheelbuilding experience, unless they plan to take it to a shop and have it tensioned correctly.

queerpunk, did your IRO wheels arrive at your door basically perfect?

Last edited by TallRider; 02-23-06 at 02:54 PM.