View Single Post
Old 07-25-21, 02:17 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have thought about working on this, since my ftp seems to be inexorably falling. Although the security of dyno lights is hard to give up. What headlights are you using? What do you do about headlights on a 1200k?

I wish there were lower power dynohubs that weren't high drag like the Shimano 1.5 watt. But I guess Schmidt doesn't agree.
The Schmidt deluxe is lighter and lower drag if I am not mistaken. I think it was originally for 20 inch wheels.

If you are not riding much at night, the Schmidt has low drag during normal use and not too much of a penalty. I was just saying that mechanical friction items like tires, chain, bearings, and others added together can be significant. I rode with latex tubes, topping them up once. For lights, I use an old BT 20 Fenix that runs on 18650 batteries. It has a crude manner of directing the beam that is helpful but nothing light the German lights. It is broad up close with a long throw, which I like. I also carry a small Fenix spare light that runs on one 18650. I carry a spare set of batteries. I also had some batteries in my drop bag. I have not found something that I like better, yet.

Fast riders are often on Continental GP4000 or 5000 tires in 25 or 28 mm width. I have bought a ton of the much loved supple tires from Seattle. I have also tested them. They are not slow but they are also not fast. They are comfortable.

It seemed to me and my Garmin that PBP had more climbing in 2019. I really noticed it on the bent.