View Single Post
Old 07-28-21, 09:51 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Pinarello Montello component morphing

In May 2014 the subject bike joined the developing stable, n+1.
1989 Pinarello Monetllo on Flickr

It was cleaned up and then ridden for several thousand miles.
P1020207 on Flickr

Really great ride and fit much better than the Colnago. However, here is an Italian bike with DA parts except the HS, post, stem and bars. I let this ride with the nagging thought of putting Campagnolo on it.
After an incident where the FD failed me on a ride, I decided to think more seriously about the change. The issue is the little plastic part on the FD that cracked and no longer functions as a resistance to the limit screw rotating. It is that thin part the screws appear to engage.
P1050188 on Flickr
So parts were acquired over time, turned out to be Chorus level. The situation was I had a Record hub for 8v, no block and unlaced. The other desire was to consider sew-ups. That changed when a set of Wheels MFG spacers for DA block showed up in our for sale site.
DA/WM blcok on Flickr
In the process of installing the spacers to the DA block, the axle bearings were lubed. Second issue showed up in damaged cone on the drive side. A search revealed they are unobtainium. Replacement DA hub or go with building the Record was the first thought. Reassembling the hub was what was done as a temporary measure.

The morphed items were the brake calipers to Monoplanar, with 8v Ergo replacing both DA brake levers and DT shifters, shifters to cable stops, RD and FD replaced and crankset with bb. New chain too. Still has the DA hubs front and back.
P1030663 on Flickr

The older Chorus, crankset was changed to the newer version that looks like the Record. Didn't care for the older esthetics (much like the DA).

The Campagnolo 8v rear block was acquired and a set of wheels with Campagnolo Strada aero rims donated the rim and spokes for the Record rear hub. The front wheel does not need to be addressed with the exception of it being radially laced. Still have not decided if and when that change will happen.
P1050189 on Flickr
P1050191 on Flickr

The DA block is 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23. Both cranks sets are 53/39. The Campagnolo rear block is 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23. I rarely used the 12 and it will not be missed. the 16 addition will be nice as it was a bit of a gap for me. The real issue is the 23 and my age. Even 23/39 is a bit steep for some of the hills I navigate around here in the shape I am in. Not a pleasant shape either.

The De Rosa is configured as a 10v with 11 on the top and 25 on the bottom. Hills are a slight bit easier, 11 and 12 are nearly useless......Hey it looks great!

So the idea of a triple started being considered. Not for the De Rosa but for the Pin. In the process of morphing the DA to Chorus, a couple of BB spindles were acquired of different lengths, along with a greater appreciation of matching spindles to the crank and chain line. So I think I have a BB for the triple. I also have a Racing T crankset now.
P1050192 on Flickr

Another biproduct of the DA/Chorus morphing was the acquisition of the wrong FD. Turns out it was a triple and would not clear the 53 tooth double. Just needed to move that big ring a bit further out from the centerline of the bike. So I have a triple FD, not a Racing T but a Record. See pic above

It got really serious this week as a medium cage Racing T RD is in the mail.

The rear wheel is laced up and almost ready to go. Need to adjust the dish, a story which is captured in another thread as are the issues of the crankset install and FD.

The unknown is the what the BB length should be with a 70mm shell, either 111 or 115, and will the FD work.

Oh and I will likely be overhauling the Ergo's. They don't perform as well as the 10v Ergos on the De Rosa. That leads to new bar tape too and maybe new RD cable.

Bottom line is the bike will likely serve me we well on hills with the 30/25. I also have a 9v block that might donate the 26t sprocket.

My intent is to document the morphing of the bike based on the frame set.

Last edited by SJX426; 07-28-21 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For SJX426: