Old 07-28-21, 05:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Is there such a thing as sweating too much in Florida heat and humidity? If it were me, I'd just bring plenty of water and electrolytes, maybe add a hydration backpack, and let it flow. I sweat more profusely when I drink electrolytes -- my sweat feels kinda soapy, sorta like washing your hands or hair in very soft water. Not a bad thing, just unusual compared with drinking plain water. But I feel fine on long rides and runs in summer heat.

BTW, a hydration backpack can help with cooling. I always chill my water bladder in the fridge, and sometimes add ice cubes. While there's a slightly padded insulation layer between my back and the hydration pack, it's still cooling and feels good. I use it mostly on long summertime walks, jogging and even a couple of runs in the 5-10 mile range in midday. Heavy but worth it. The weight is less noticeable on the bike.

I know some folks who always wear full leggings and sleeves -- usually in white, sometimes black -- even in summer in Texas. They're mostly concerned about skin cancer, but say it's comfortable. I joke around that they're like Sherif Ali in Lawrence of Arabia, the man in black portrayed by Omar Sharif.

When I first resumed cycling in 2015 I worried about sunburn -- for years I'd sunburned easily after only 15 minutes in the sun. So I wore white long sleeved wicking fabric shirts from Champion, Under Armour, etc. They weren't bad at all in our heat, although we don't usually get the kind of humidity you get in Florida.

I do notice big differences in wicking fabrics. Some work very well and feel cooler, or at least no worse, than going bare-skinned. The best wicking fabric jersey I've worn is the Louis Garneau Lemmon 2 -- feels like fine soft cotton, but it's poly wicking fabric. It's so comfy I've considered their long sleeve version.

But after my thyroid failed and I developed early onset osteopenia and had dangerously low Vitamin D and calcium levels, I switched to short sleeve shirts to get more sun, and carried sunscreen and sometimes sun sleeves. Over time I experimented with skipping sunscreen, spending more time in the sun, even switching to sleeveless shirts when I walk and jog. For some weird reason I don't sunburn anymore. Heck, I barely tan. I get some tan marks, but the tan fades quickly. I'm guessing it's due to the massive amounts of Vitamin D I take now, at least 5,000 IU daily in supplement pills, plus whatever I get from milk and diet.
Likes For canklecat: