Old 07-29-21, 02:16 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
Beating the system.

Yesterday I became aware that it was going to rain today so I planned on a day off from cycling. I did some shopping this morning and noticed it was not raining yet, so I checked the weather report and discovered that it was not going to rain as soon as originally reported. I decided to take a rolling day off. I would ride my usual 50-mile distance at touring pace. I have done this before and burned more calories than a regular ride probably because I am out there longer.

I started slowly and stayed slow; it was an incredibly enjoyable experience. I never got anywhere near oxygen debt in my lungs or lactic acid in my legs. I used granny gears on the hills and just spun like I was riding on clouds. I knew rain was coming but I never felt pressure to ride faster and just grooved on the ride. I could hear the tires humming on the road and the chain and gears were like music. The air was not pushing against me, it was caressing me. It felt like gravity had taken a vacation.

At about the 45-mile point a misty spray alerted me to impending rain. I was tempted to hit the throttle, but it was so glorious that I just kept the same pace. I told myself that I have been wet before and was prepared to be wet again. The gods were with me, and I got to my house dry.

I went up the three stairs and stood on my porch seconds before a downpour dumped buckets of rain on my walk. The splendor of the incident was so remarkable that I stood there on the porch and just watched the storm. With one hand on my dry bike and the other on the porch railing I thanked the gods for allowing me to beat the system once again.