Old 07-30-21, 12:38 PM
msr_78

Bikes: Too many - most used now Litespeed Gravel & Prorace Hauser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kfried
Below is the build so far. I just cannot get the front derailleur to shift and I haven't put the chain on yet. In the process I've destroyed the shift cable, and need to get a new set. Hopefully by tomorrow it'll be ready for a shakedown ride.

In any case, pretty happy with the build. The Motokos are flat mount and very similar to the Juintech from what I can tell. Rene Herse 32s for the tires and Fulcrum Racing 5s for the wheels. The wheelset isn't great, but got a great deal on them and they're perfectly fine for now. Maybe upgrade those next year.

Edit: Forgot to mention that clearance is for 38s. I doubt I'll get those fitted very often, but I wanted the option as I plan to travel with this bike quite a bit.

Edit 2: If you are thinking of a Grays at some point, I'll have some advice and happy to discuss via PM. First, I would avoid the Yokozuna Motokos if you're going full internal routing. You can see it in that photo, but there is very little room between where the cable emerges and the brake. With compressionless housing, you can't make it bend to fit in there. This is primarily due to the fact that the Motokos have the cable entry point on the outside ofthe brake. Second, if you are going mechanical with internal routing, strongly consider a cable guide under the BB. I am having to wrap my cable around the BB shell in the housing, and the Jagwire Pro shift housing is too stiff to do it easily. But I'd also note that I'm a pretty inexperienced mechanic so YMMV.
It looks fantastic, what a bike...my inner miser was still debating whether the price was too much, but seeing them all (almost) ready to ride, to hell with pennypinching

R8000 FD right? I had my share of troubles the first time I had to set one up, uncle Youtube solved the issue though, as it's pretty unintuitive if you're used to old school FD

Mine will be set up with an Ultegra r8070, and I'm certainly following your advise and asking for externally routed cables - I know it looks "worse" and whatnot, but it is so much simpler to service, plus I don't want to think the hell it must be trying to fish them out of such a small diameter tubes - I've had my set of issues with frames that had all cables (including guides) routed internally, and the BB is always a sore point too.

Fulcrums are great wheels, I have a set of 4's for road that I was planning to use as hybrid gravel for when the Dean arrives with some Challenge Strada (or similar) in 32 to 35 mm. 5s are basically the same only a bit shallower if I'm not mistaken. If you want to go for carbon, I have used eie carbon rims for some time now and am pretty impressed with quality and price - don't know about the whole wheelset though, but I will PM you to ask about the whole process with the Grays, and can let you know my experience with eie & lightbicycle, if you're considering going that route

Thanks!