BikingMD
road+steel=love

Bikes: Giant NRS1 (upgraded).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clydesdale. WHEEL THREAD!

Hey all. I have a 60cm Moser M76 frameset. Stiff as hell and for a roadbike, its on the heavier side at 1.8kg (incl. bottle cages). Imp. Note: This bike will be mostly a hardcore trainer/racer bike. I'm a college student so this bike will 'do it all'.

SO, time for a wheelset.

ME: 6' 1"+ and 200lbs. in full riding gear.

I NEED: a Strong, light, and cheap wheelset. I know, I know, but there MUST be an acceptable compromise for wheels among the three categories.

RIDING: Suburban/rural MD roads so lots of road chatter and the occasional roadkill.

What I've found through a little research:
I can pay less for durable but slightly heavier hubs and move that extra $ to more expensive rims that will provide less rotating mass. Best option for me will be a 24h front and 28-32h rear OC rim.

Where you come in: Wheel/spoke/hub options that you guys can advise me on. I know very little of available Off-Center rim options that are acceptable in weight (sub 430g). As far as hubs, I looked briefly at the Ritchey WCS hubs but turned away when I learned of their problems (true?), so I was back at square one for good, low-$ hubs. Also, what spoke patterns are preferable for my weight/riding cond. etc?

BTW: The rims/hubs/whole wheelset doesn't need to really match. I am more interested in performance than looks, so feel free to mix and match.

Thanks a lot and I hope this thread becomes helpful for others too looking for Wheelsets in my weight category.