Old 08-03-21, 02:21 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If you lower the FD and want a tad more width on your FD, you can add a small thin washer at the back of the cage where the screw holds the inner and outer plates together. Unscrew the bolt, add the washer, put it back together.
Clearly, you know your way around this kind of derailleur. See the photo below taken from the top. My observations:

1) Both the inner and outer plates seem to angle inwards at the front of the derailleur. I'm unsure as to whether or not this is a design feature or a user modification.

2) The rear of the derailleur is actually pretty wide in my opinion. It verges on rubbing against the crank arm depending on how I set it up.

3) This setup works and seems to thread a pretty tight needles. So, like someone said above, I'm inclined to not mess with what works.

This FD, and another vintage RD that I have both seem to allow one to remove the chain without removing the derailleur, or vice versa. Would that have been the original design intent? If so, I like it.