View Single Post
Old 08-05-21, 03:32 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
To me, some of the scariest parts of a ride are when crossing on-ramps to freeways. The worst are the ones that take drivers onto the on-ramp at speed like an off-ramp from the secondary road. It seems like they are already in freeway mode and they want to go fast. There is one we cross often and we have to be very careful. I always like to wave and yell "thank you" to the drivers who wait for us.
Yeah, I agree, but what I meant was crossing an offramp when riding ON a freeway. Especially the off ramps. People are coming up behind you at 3 times your speed and you have no idea if they are staying in their lane and continuing on the highway or if they are going to decide to exit and cross your path. You are almost unavoidably putting your life in somebody else's hands. Stopping and "looking" on a busy road does you almost no good, because the traffic is coming so fast and because starting from a dead stop greatly increases the time that you are vulnerable as you cross.
Likes For MinnMan: