non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked 3,048 Times in 1,298 Posts
Project 2108/A - 1984 Koga Miyata RoadWinner

Later this month mrs non-fixie and I may have the opportunity to participate in a C&V event for the first time in almost two years: Eroica Germania. Covid regulations are changing every week here in Europe, so nothing is certain, but I thought I'd at least prepare a couple of extra bikes, just in case.

Project 2108/A (project 2108/B will follow shortly) is a new bike for mrs non-fixie. Browsing through my archives I found a bike with a short enough top tube (women prefer/need shorter top tubes than men, I've found) that *could* work. A 1984 MY Koga-Miyata RoadWinner.

I took the bike apart yesterday, and cleaned up the frame, the bottom bracket and the headset today.

The frame, with a 50cm ST and a 52cm TT:

This model got an upgrade from the '83 version. Shimano 105 'Golden Arrow' was replaced by Shimano 600 EX 'Arabesque'. This particular machine was exceptionally dirty when I bought it, but the parts still seem to be in excellent shape. At least the bottom bracket and headset are:

Below is a pic from the 1984 catalog. I will be changing a few things, in order for it to work for my girl: a crank set that will take a smaller inner ring will replace the 130 BCD 600 EX, and the bike will be keeping the Shimano DEL-80 dual action levers it came with. They work well, and with mrs non-fixie's small hands and limited experience with drop bars I don't want her going down a steep incline without them.

More cleaning tomorrow. Lots of it.

Likes For non-fixie: