Old 08-10-21, 04:44 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
Deciding to build gravel bike - Reynolds 853 + GRX 400 vs Carbon + 105 5800

I'm looking at buying either a Reynolds 853 frame set (thru-axle, flat mount brakes, tapered headset tube, 27.5mm seat post, external cabling) with carbon fork + DT Swiss C1800 wheels - OR - picking up a carbon bike with Shimano 105 5800 shifters + rear derailleur, TRP hy/rd disc brakes and FSA 50/34t crank and 11 speed 11-32t cassette. Both bikes are 700c and clear 40c tires.

- If I go with the Reynolds 853 frame, I'll swap components from my current alloy GRX 400/600 groupet bike to build out the steel frame. I'll either keep the alloy frame/covert it to SS or sell it.

- If I go with the carbon bike, I'll keep my alloy GRX bike as-is and just use the carbon bike as a flat terrain lightweight gravel bike with it's smaller cassette and put GravelKing slicks on it.

Part of me thinks getting the carbon bike will give me a more oriented road bike, but with the ability to go gravel and I'll still have my GRX gravel bike with it's GoatLink and wide range cassette (11-42t) to tackle the hills/mountains. Though I've read Reynolds 853 steel to be very good and it would be incredibly easy swapping all my GRX parts due to near-matching specs of my current bike.

Honestly I don't have much experience with either frame material, so I'd be curious hearing opinions. Thanks!