View Single Post
Old 08-16-21, 08:40 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 GT Vantara, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop130771 View Post
Sorry that would help!! Got XT M8000 shifters to match derailleur...I heard of people finding a way of making this derailleur work with 48T with a bit of patience with setting up, also heard people using wolf tooth hanger but I can't see how the mech is ever going to get to the huge 48t gear!
Which derailleur are you using? Your thread title seems to be asking which derailleur folks would suggest, then your post above suggests you have a derailleur. Are you saying you have an RD-M8000? If so, whether you have the GS (medium cage) or the SGS (long cage), the derailleur is not designed to work with a cassette larger than 46 teeth. Sometimes you can get it to support a larger sprocket ... sometimes by luck with just how the frame hanger positions the derailleur. For guaranteed compatibility, however, you'll need a derailleur designed to accommodate such a large sprocket.

The Shimano RD-M5100-SGS is designed to work with as large as a 51t sprocket. I assume your SL-M8000 shifters will work with it, but I don't know for sure.