Old 08-16-21, 06:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 658 Posts
Man, the 50Fs are the most challenging temp for me in terms of cycling gear, because it’s just chilly rather than straight up cold, and the mix of weather and clothing uppers can really push the comfort zone one way or the other.

Usually I wear my summer kit with thermal arm warmers and thermal knee warmers in the upper 50s. Moving into the lower 50s, I swap the knee warmers for thermal leg warmers. If lower 50s are the high temps— i.e. if it’s in the 40s at the start of the ride— I use thermal bib shorts. On top, it’s either the aforementioned thermal arm warmers with summer jersey or a long sleeved base layer under summer jersey with thermal bib shorts.

I really like thermal bib shorts and tights, because that extra warmth across the lower belly and waist really does a lot to keep me warm and comfortable.