Old 08-21-21, 04:00 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I've often wondered about gravel riding. I know as a kid I never liked riding unpaved roads and when I got my first "ten speed" it seemed to hate being ridden off of the pavement. I've seen posts on FB and Strava organizing gravel rides in my area andI don't know where they are riding, but the idea of it with the roads we have here make me think I'd be eating dust every time a truck went by. I'd say the majority of gravel roads we have a crushed limestone and most of it is more rock than gravel. Any opinion or understanding of gravel riding I have came from this limited world view of it.

But I've seen many pictures of gravel riding where I think gravel riding would be a great experience. Hard packed gravel with beautiful scenery would be in many cases a better alternative to some of the heavily traveled roads I ride hoping that I am visible to motorists. I'm certainly interested in trying it and categorize this as something to not knock unless I've tried it. I should have tried it before I replaced my original Bontrager 32s with Continental GP5K 25s. The 25s don't look like they would like it at all. I have a couple of steel bikes and one of them has some Paselas with some tread I have thought about trying.