View Single Post
Old 08-22-21, 02:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I'm not a fan of writing a ticket for every "Accident". Mistakes can happen allowing 2 people to be in the same spot at the same time.

About two years ago I had a crosswalk incident. I patiently waited for the crosswalk light to change. The when it did, I started to cross. I knew the car next to me was potentially a problem car and had considered reaching out and tapping on the hood. But, as soon as I got my front wheel out, she did a right on red, and BAM, I was down flat. No significant personal injury, and the bike rode away (although I think there was some minor damage). I just let it go.

=======================

However, I feel the above accident was far more serious. In my case, I had a legal right to cross at the crosswalk, and the driver had a legal right to do a right on red (when clear).

But. above, the cyclist hit the crossing light. Then crossed the street. There is no legal right to speed at high speed down the center turn lane to get around stopped traffic. Even if it was 2-lanes, one normally slows somewhat in case whatever stopped the vehicles to the right also impacts one's own lane.

One note, a cyclist can move faster than a pedestrian changing dynamics somewhat, and impact visblity. But, it doesn't make the car's maneuver legal.

Did the article print the woman's explanation? Pregnant and ready to burst?

I think a citation would have been justified.
Likes For CliffordK: