View Single Post
Old 08-25-21, 05:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
You should generally be able to keep up the pace at 53, but lots of things can get out of whack as you age that will throw wrench in that plan.

When I was your age (just about 53) I noticed I was getting chronically tired. For about a year I assumed it was just "old age". But a friend of mine was recently diagnosed as celiac and I compared symptoms and I had many of the same things. So I went on a gluten-free diet and the fatigue .. stopped!

I doubt celiac disease is what your problem is, but there are many conditions that can take a big bite out of your energy. And they can be very hard to figure out. I never, ever would have solved my problem if I had relied on my doctor (who completely pooh-poohed the idea). More recently I had some back problems and this also led to fatigue (tingling+numbness+fatigue). That one at least had a clear symptom and PT pretty much solved it. By then I had ditched my previous doc, and the new doc was really on top of it.

Many other good suggestions to check out are mentioned above. I personally know people with lyme and low testosterone who also hit a fatigue wall. Look into all the ideas mentioned above, research more online, make a list of potential ones to consider and take them to your doc. Don't forgot that you are your best advocate .. don't just sit and wait for your doc to solve your problem, it might never happen.
I think that's great advice. My limited experience of doctors (GPs) is that they are not really interested if you don't have an obvious medical issue that they can throw some pills at. I also find that "Dr Google" is actually pretty effective. Last year I got this really strange and dramatic rash all over my body. It looked like I'd been whipped as the rash was in distinct streaks across my arms, chest, back and legs. So I went straight to my GP and he didn't have the faintest clue what it was. The best he could come up with was a "viral rash". I wasn't convinced as it was nothing like any viral rash I've ever seen before. 30 mins research on Google later and bingo!

https://imj.ie/shiitake-flagellate-d...ed-in-ireland/

I had indeed under-cooked some ****ake mushrooms a couple of days earlier. Thankfully the rash faded away after a few days.

This is not me in the above link btw!