repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
NONONONO! UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED!

THINK OF WHAT'S AT RISK DOWN THERE!

The pressed in, swagged or pinned 2 piece style of seatpost construction was, is and always will be a "urine" poor design. Campy made some seatposts that way during their brief MTB misadventure - and they came apart that way too!

Seatposts are one of the most highly stressed parts of a bike! They support most of a rider's weight!

While I don't recall seeing one of those 2 piece alloy seatposts with a split or break at the top of the tube section, what I suspect happens is the constant pounding from road shock expands the top of the tube at the rear enough for the upper part to come loose.

Plastic reinforced carbon fiber seat posts are made that way too and from what I've seen, that's the most common place for failure.

My suggestion: recycle the pieces at separate times or places so that some nimrod doesn't find them and attempt a repair.

You can find 1 piece SR Laprade seatposts on eBay all of the time. Hone or sand the inside of the seat tube to remove any burrs - put something down the tube to keep gunk from getting into the BB.

Lastly, coat the bottom of the seatpost and top of the seat tube with a glob of grease to avoid "HELP! MY SEATPOST IS STUCK!".

dedhed repechage Are you guys looking to compete for the Darwin Award? "HEY! WATCH THIS!"...

verktyg
I did rec’ buy an alternative.
it is an interesting failure, I have seen the Campagnolo / titanium hybrids before, a reasonably sound approach with the correct adhesive.