Old 08-28-21, 12:36 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Also, we've all had tons of sympathy for Jakobsen, coming back from his crash in Poland. But he burnt up some good will in that moment after the race.
Sprinters especially have to be singularly focused when they're tapped for a stage, and expect the team around them to deliver them to the last few hundred meters. ​​​​​​It makes them naturally not team players on the day. ​​​​​​I think it's pretty common for a sprinter to be upset when things don't go his way, especially since the team surely wants him to take the points jersey at this race. It would surprise me (and undoubtedly annoy Lefevre) if he were blase about getting dropped. Cav's explosion toward the team mechanic near the end of the TdF was worse, but emotions run high at grand tours especially with the effects of fatigue draining rational thinking, so I give them a pass as long as they regain their levelheadedness after some recovery.

I don't know his exact frame of mind, but Jakobsen surely doesn't want what happened yesterday to ever happen again, so he makes it a point to communicate what he saw as the mistake made. It's up to Senechal to decide if he's sincere and not bearing a grudge, because if it's his good will toward Jakobsen that's lost, then Fabio's damaged part of the leadout train he needs to not just make it to the end of the Vuelta, but potentially many more sprints in the future.