View Single Post
Old 02-24-06, 07:26 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by msheron
No not all FD work I guess. I bought a Ultegra Triple 9 spd. which the FD is for both a 10 spd. and 9 for triples. The only problem is the cage is too deep and when positioned properly the inside cage of the FD rubs or better yet presses firmly against the 52-T chain ring. No way to get it to work. I even raised the FD well above the 2 mm space of the outer cage to the 52-T chain ring......guess what? The cage still rubs at times and when I fine tuned it the damn thing would not shift into the 30-T chain ring unless you used different cassette cogs with the 52-42-30T...........Jeez what a nightmare.

Well the online store I bought the FD takes back items within 30 days if not satisfied. I can't figure the life of me why there is no Ultegra FD without so deep of a inner cage.

My 105 FD is nowhere near as deep as this one. The bad thing is, once I placed it on and set it properly, or what I thought, I clipped the cable length and capped and blam! Now the line is too short for my 105 to go back on.

I learned a good lesson here!
Well to get them to work properly you need to set them as LOW as possible and align it carefully. I was having not too dissimilar problems to you but I can't say I can advise you directly because ultimately I took it to the LBS and someone there finnaly took the time to do it correctly.

From my little experience in adjusting the front derailer you need to consider the HALF shifts and position accordingly. You may have adjusted to the wrong trimming position. Sometimes on the big ring you need to set the stop to allow it to travel a little further than you want (but not too far) so that it can click into the next indexing indent.

Regards, Anthony