Old 09-01-21, 06:50 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I see the biggest impediment to a larger and better L'Eroica (U.S.) event as the riders, themselves. Enthusiasm for, and the consistent riding of, vintage bikes should be much more prevalent, but as we look around, we see (even guys my age, 63) riding new, Chinese carbon. As you have noted, Britain has a long and storied history of serious and organized cycling; N.C.U., B.L.R.C., C.T.C., and as we see from the healthy numbers at L'Eroica Brittania in years past, many of these riders have not forgotten about vintage bikes and riding. Napa would be cool, as would Monterey. The move of L'Eroica Brittania from Bakewell to Goodwood will increase the numbers of riders manifold (is that an auto joke?) because of its proximity to more, large population centers, and perhaps moving L'Eroica California to Monterey would increase access and consequent numbers, so it may be worth a look. I do like your idea of an East Coast L'Eroica, and think there is enough enthusiasm to sustain one, but I could be wrong.
Has L'Eroica California expressed an interest in expanding?
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
This, in a nutshell.
Agree with both of you. As far as Expansion, no, haven't heard anything simply because getting the one event held and stable has been the primary focus. I really think sans pandemic, the 2020 event would have been at least as large if not larger than the 2019 event (900+ classic and 200+ Nova riders. I had heard 2021 estimates of 1200+ Classic and 300+ Nova riders was the goal or signed up already (including prior registrations) but that cancellations were beginning to mount. My understanding is Eroica Germania, held mid August, had a decent turnout ~500, but many others declined due to worries about Covid and the general issues of travel and exposure. Certainly, Europe is still dealing with as difficult a time as we are here in the US. Economic viability isn't easy with that few riders when expecting and hoping for much more.

As for an East Coast Eroica, I certainly think its doable and offers some great options for routes and scenery. Whether there's wineries, picturesque small towns, and any major bike culture to tie into, well that would be up to potential organizers to propose and promote. One wonders whether existing Gran Fondos for instance could tie in an Eroica like Classic Steel event along with the regular ride? That could be one way to introduce and develop a regional following and provide viable options with less travel. You might even attract some of us left coasters to fly out and join the fun. The Dale Brown / Cycles D' Oro Classic Rendezvous event in North Carolina pulls in members from all over the country but isn't nearly as big.

Of course, all of this presumes that Eroica in Italy would be open to new or additional events in the same country.