View Single Post
Old 09-03-21, 01:22 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I've cycled across Canada this summer because of the pandemic. I live in Quebec and preferred not to travel internationally.

Conditions varied across provinces and over time. The more annoying issue was in Ontario where restaurants would sell exclusively take-out food. No restroom access, no shelter if it rained.

I didn't have difficulty finding a camping spot. I don't recall being unable to find a room in a motel. No problem in grocery stores either.

Now, things will probably get more complicated with this vaccination passport thing. Starting September 1st in Quebec, you need to show proof of full vaccination + photo ID to be able to eat in a restaurant. And the word is that other provinces will follow. A large survey firm says that 80% of the Canadian population is in favor of such a thing. In France, a vaccine passport is also required. And the word seems to be that other European countries are exploring the idea. OTOH Denmark, the first country to use such passport, has recently announced that it will ditch it (perhaps already a thing of the past).

So... touring in a different country will perhaps involve an additional layer of bureaucracy.