Old 09-07-21, 01:53 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Should go right on. Lone caveat is possible re-contouring of the silver part if the item purchased was shaped for larger OD aluminum tubing.
This may eventually be a subject of another thread but I'm also considering putting 9sp DT shifters on my 2000 Airborne Zeppelin Titanium bike. What I struggle with, however, is that the down tube is actually ovalized. So my questions with respect to that are:

1) Can the curved bits generally be profiled as you suggest?

2) Are the curved bits actually necessary for the function of the shifters? Can they be omitted if one does not mind the look of that?

3) Is the curved spacer geometry critical to the functioning of the shifters? If it is, is the strategy then to profile the spacers without compromising any depth at the apex of the curve?

The photo below shows the bike in question and you can see the gap created by the oval tubing. And that will only get worse with a larger diameter thing in contact with the downtube.