Old 09-07-21, 02:11 PM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I think the consensus view is that there's no significant difference in rolling resistance or speed between 25 and 28 with the same quality tire. The pro teams still run mostly 25's so I assume there's some benefit to the narrower tire. Acceleration maybe? I don't know. All the teams have disk brakes, so there's no reason for them not to run wider tires if there was no downside.

For me it comes down to feel. Most of my training rides are 50-100k on pretty good suburban roads and include some hard efforts, so I prefer the feel of narrower tires for that kind of riding. At 150-200k I might run a wider tire or I might not. A solo 150k would almost certainly be on 25's, but I might go much wider on a casual club 200k. There's no one right answer all the time. I say try the 28's. You can always go back to 25's if you like them better. Tires don't last forever so you can try a few different ones out. FWIW I've never seen any reason to try latex tubes.
Yep, trial and error is the best way to learn . I like a snappy feeling bike but not twitchy/ insecure. Right now I have Bontrager R1 Hard case Lite mounted on the bike in 25mm. It's my first road bike so I don't have any reference to compare them with. Maybe I should change one parameter at a time i.e. change the brand/model and keep my tires in the same sizing?

I just mesured the outer width of my wheels which is 23mm. Is there a correlation between rim width and tires width to ensure a proper "fit"? What would be the ideal tire size VS rim size?