Old 09-08-21, 09:38 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 43 Posts
A very tiny mid 1970s Motobecane - Italian Crank Swap

Yet another project....

I picked up this ultra-small early 1970s Motobecane Nomade for my son. I have some parts that I think would look great on it and hop it up a bit, all in keeping with the C&V spirit of course (though I have some time as he's too small to ride it at this point).

I'm hoping to use this equally tiny Gipiemme 115 crank but that means switching from cottered to square taper. That's always interesting, especially on a French bike, but in this case I think even more so given the size of the bottom bracket.

I took a quick look around online and didn't see anything off the shelf (or otherwise) that would make it easy. My current thought is maybe just have a new shaft machined to my specifications and just use the existing bottom bracket.

Curious if anyone has any other thoughts?

Or if anyone has run into this before? (ha ha.. I know, I know... but it never hurts to ask, right?)