Old 09-09-21, 09:10 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I got to thinking about the apparently weak springy hitch from the stock trailer. In my other thread the below hitch idea was posted in there. So I decided to make something similar.

At first I welded the tube on the bike side in the horizontal position. However, I got to thinking about it and felt that if I did that the pivot point - and thus the leverage the trailer tongue would have on the rear end of the bike - would be extended out further than it should be. So I decided to cut it off and weld it vertically instead.

I will post pictures later. I am going to work on the rest of the hitch today. Hopefully I will get a bit further with it.

My idea for the tongue hitch bar to couple to the pivot brackets is to make a square socket that the hitch tongue bar would fit inside of, like a receiver hitch and drawbar on a vehicle (1-1/4", 2", 2.5" etc square receiver hitches). The hitch tongue bar going inside would mean the coupler would be larger and thus stronger. The hitch tongue bar is pretty small thin wall tube and it would be a challenge making a square tube to go inside. The welds being on the outside will be a lot easier to work with, also.

With the vertical (rotational) pivot at the bike, the horizontal (rolling) pivot will be at the hitch bar. That might be a challenge to make, but I'll hammer through it. That is the blessing of custom fabrication - you can make what you need and make things work. Sometimes there are a million ways to accomplish the same thing.

Originally Posted by Reynolds

Likes For KC8QVO: