Old 09-09-21, 03:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Just to clarify some questions:

The tubeless in discussion is 23 mm (measures 24 inflated), rated at 87 – 130 psi and I rode it at around 85 (+/-). I can’t go 28-32 mm, as the frame has no clearance, my rims are narrow – accept max 25 and I don’t like a bulky road wheel. Will ANY of the sealants work at 130 psi, as rated on the tire? Or is it misleading and I should not exceed 70 psi?
I tried a second sealant recommended by a large bike shop and it had the same behavior.
Schwalbe is a larger provider (bike tires, for example). Their kit for switching to road tubeless worked fine (rim tape, valves, sealant, a special solution for seating the tubes, tire booster – all rated for road tubeless). But didn’t work for sealing the hole. Neither the other sealant.

Just think about car tires: you don’t need any research to find a sealant that works, any small tire repair shop will do the job with any sealant they have. That IS a system that works. The same with tubes: any “no name” patch on the market will do the job - that is another system that works. But If I have to make research and expensive experiments in order to find which of the many brand sealants on the market can make the job of sealing a small hole (maybe only muc-off can make the job, from so many brand alternatives on the market?), then the system is not reliable.
And, please, don’t shoot me. It is only about my opinion, which was built up on my true experience. There is no issue if your opinion is different.
It is true that you need to do a bit of research on tubeless tyres to find out what works and what doesn’t. Corsa Speeds were quick to go on my black list. Way too fragile for my needs. As for sealants, Orange Seal gets consistently good reviews, while Stan’s (spellchecker changed this to Satan’s!) doesn’t. I’ve had good results with Muc-off sealant on both road and mtb.