Old 09-10-21, 11:31 AM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Uhmmm.... make sure the bike was not regularly put away wet after rides. Moisture is one of the things that can kill the glued bond between the lugs and frame tubes, due to galvanic corrosion between the CF and aluminum.
If you see dark crud creeping out between the tube and lug seams.......run away....
Some lugged CF bike were worse with this than others, but the good news is, IIRC, Specialized did make some effort to improve the seal between the elements and the lug seams by painting over the lugs on their later version of this bike. Plus, I think they also added isolating material (I think it was fiberglass) between the lug sockets and the CF tube ends to minimize chances of corrosion.
I had it completely disassembled this morning. I compressed the seat stays and chainstays and tried to stress the frame in other ways. I did not find anything out of the ordinary. Also, the BB was in incredible shape, leading me to believe it was never exposed to the elements for a period of time. I think it will be fine.
Likes For dpicare26: