Old 02-25-06, 11:30 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by soonerschwinn
... or maybe a local bearing company. We have a couple of bearing companies here that will sell to anyone even though they're really geared toward commercial customers. I would think any city would have the same. If you can find the right size in different grades get the highest number. Cart. bearings are graded ABEC-1 to ABEC-7. The higher the number the better the bearing.
Careful here, unless you have very high net worth or just won the lottery!
Many years ago I was going to race a downhill event on my rollerskates. I would be going up against some REALLY fast skateboarders. I went to the local bearing company and asked for their BEST 608 bearing. Thats the size of standard skate bearings. The gentleman went way and returned with a nice looking 608. Me; How much? Him;How many did you want? Me;Rollerskates require 16, so 16. Him; Let's see, normally $107.00, for that many, $79.00. That didn't seem so bad, skate shops were charging around $40-$50 for a set. Him; I'm sorry, that's EACH. EACH?!?!!! EACH??!!! That comes to over $1,200!!
Me; Why the **** do these cost $107.00 EACH??? Oh, they're made to withstand 20,000 lbs pressure at 20,000 rpm. Let's see that would be 4 Chevy Suburbans spinning at lightspeed.
OK, next question; What do you have that carries about 10 lbs and spins at say 5,000 rpm?
Whole set, about $90. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!
Thought I'd share that bearing experience w/y'all!!
Dr.D