Old 02-25-06, 12:48 PM
ccdisce

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCR
I had this annoying sqeaking/creaking sound coming from the front end of my bike for the past couple weeks. I completely tore apart the headset, bars, stem, shifters, etc and regreased everything. Creaking still there! I finally figured out it was coming from the front hub. I've taken it apart and now have two rusty sealed bearings, end caps, and an axle sitting in front of me. Oh, by the way, the front wheel is a Velomax Tempest. The only thing the bearings have written on them is "china" and "R6RS".

Are there different types of bearings? Some better than others? I remember a conversation once about ceramic bearings, I think. Can I order these bearings online? I was trying not to go to my LBS but will if I have to.
The bearing is from the english sized R family used in such other things as in line skates aparently and the steel types are available on ebay, just search for 'R6'. Small bearings come in a variety of seal/shield options also ...ZZ means 2 metal shields so is not waterproof but then neither is a 2RS, lets say the rubber sealed units are 'water resistant'.

Last edited by ccdisce; 02-25-06 at 12:51 PM. Reason: sp error