burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 905 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Just going off off CTS recs, they say no recovery carbs after workouts below 1700 kJ. What's your experience with that? I've tried both yes and no for many years and really didn't notice any difference below that level. My protein idea is off some coach's blog, don't remember which, can't find it now. However there's this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5828430/

I implemented a 3 X 40g dosage scheme (2 X kg) several days ago and already notice a difference in muscle soreness. For that past couple years I've thought I was just getting old and hopeless and it looks like it might have been simply too low dietary protein for the last 2-3 years. An effect of aging might be a reduction in MPS per protein gram consumed. One doesn't know what one doesn't know I guess. All we can do is experiment.
Probably too personal person to person to say for sure.

Honestly, I personally feel on a RPE scale better recovered faster. Meaning I can do more of whatever I am doing, better.

1700 KJ is random sounding as the burn rate of glycogen is dependent on the power zones of each person. So a low power person can dip into burning glycogen without big KJ workouts. And big power folks can do mega KJ workouts without big glycogen spends.

I have found at tempo for 3 hours on one gel and drink mix only the glycogen is gone by about 2:15. Nutritional bonk. If I give it the fuel, no issues going all way to 3.

I need to try some sweetspot repeat workouts on max per hour fueling to see what I can do. I have never pushed the hourly limits of fueling intake.