Old 09-27-21, 11:03 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
They're not going to "default" into any position. If they are loose enough to spin then they are going to be in a different position every time. Are these the mountain bike style pedals? Road pedals will hang with the heavy end down, mtb pedals will stop anywhere in their range. Speedplays are like mtb pedals.
Don't set your cleats to adjust for the overlap, set your cleats where they should be.
They are Shimano PD-ES600 , one sided SPD type. I didn't read the review on this link or any for that matter. I am curious what they say over there, maybe I learn something. I bought them in covid times, my criteria were SPD so I can walk around in the shoes, second point was nice look, not one of those egg beater type, and these were what was offered around here at the time.

Edit: the review confirms exactly my experience with the pedals.
Out of the box, the sealed cartridge bearings weren't very free spinning – they were rather sticky to be precise

Their weight distribution means the pedals rest at an off-vertical angle, with the tip pointing towards the rear of the bike, showing a lot of the underside. Stamp on an ES600, as you might a double-sided mountain bike pedal, and you're most likely to pointlessly and annoyingly scrape the bottom of the pedal. Clipping into these requires a forward-motion, toe-first, flip-and-clip action to engage them, and while it soon becomes second nature, it can sometimes be an issue when a fast and certain connection is required.

Shimano has slid these pedals into its GRX gravel groupset line-up, but the single-sided toe-first aspect might get annoying if you ride terrain that requires frequent clipping in and out through technical sections.
Add to it that these are my very first clipless pedals so I am not as experienced to clip in as those guys from review.

The pedals should drop down with the rear side down when left free, so you would just ride the shoe sole over the top tip to position if for sliding and clipping in. But the pedal weight distribution is not very weighted towards its rear clip spring mechanism.

It seems to be Ok with the cleats being fully forward, on several short rides I did anyway. Not that it results in complete clearance but it is potentially less dangerous. That overlap on the 1973 Motobecane bike above looks frightening LOL. BTW I have clips like those in that picture on my old bike.

Thing is, one is supposed to suffer on this TT type of bike anyway. It pushes me into more aero position than I ever rode before. I won't be doing overlong touring rides on this bike, mostly an hour or hour and half long circuits.

Last edited by vane171; 09-27-21 at 11:43 PM.
Likes For vane171: