Old 09-28-21, 10:41 AM
Harold74

Bikes: 1992 Miyata 1000, 1997 Trek 730, 2001 Airborne Zeppelin, 1980+ Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
A little update on my no traffic thread...

It turns out that some old Campagnolo Victory friction shifters that I had in storage will fit the oblong downtube properly. Well, fairly properly. It turns out that the right side braze on is a bit cockeyed and it tends to point the shifter on that side into the frame. Most levers won't rub on the downtube but the bar ends that I hand on originally did a bit. I imagine that a lot of the old school, non-indexed downtubeswould fit well as the Victory's do. That said, once I get it cabled, I may find that:

1) There's not enough pull for 9sp.

2) Friction shifting a 9sp is tougher than I'd bargained for. I've only every friction shifted 7 speeds in the past.

I've ordereda set of the Dia Compe Silver ratchet shifters as a backup in case the Victory's don't work. I'm not sure if even that will make 9sp friction shifting viable for me but, of the things that are available on the market, the Silvers seem to be the most promising. I believe that they are are only ratcheted on the way up, however, and just straight friction on the way down. So, on the way down, they may not be any different than the Victorys other than pull potential.