View Single Post
Old 10-02-21, 07:21 AM
  #14  
rustystrings61 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Greenwood SC USA
Posts: 1,922

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1974 Allegro No. 76, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh GS, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 885 Times in 477 Posts
Victory!

I made more sawcuts this morning, which may have helped matters. Then I concluded that what I really needed was some sort of cylinder I could insert into the underside of the steerer and smack with my 2-lb hammer to drive the stem remnants out. I dug around in the tool chest filled with inherited tools and found a long 1/2-in deep wall socket and the appropriate extension piece to use it with a 1/4-in socket. I rested the top of the steerer (wearing a locknut to protect threads and roundness!) on a massive wood block and commenced to wailin’ away on it. When I saw it had indeed moved I sprayed in some Liquid Wrench, gave it a moment, and resumed wailin’ until I was rewarded by the nasty bit of stem emerging. I’ll seriously want to clean up the steerer interior with a brake cylinder hone, but I think the hard part is done!


The offending stem remnant with the apparatus that drove it out.

Steerer awaiting the brake cylinder hone.


I tell myself that all that sawing helped.
rustystrings61 is offline  
Likes For rustystrings61: