View Single Post
Old 10-06-21, 05:32 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Unless it's changed from my 2015-ish version, You can lace the 'wings' tighter or looser, but that's about it in terms of width adjustability. It has the typical Brooks short front-back adjustability.

Actually, my Arius (probably Spanish Campagnolo knock-off) seatpost hits the lacing in a way that cuts the laces.
I found some leather thong to make a stronger replacement for the braided laces provided by Brooks. I treated them with Obenauf's to softened them to the point where they can be threaded and knotted, then threaded the laces into the skirts of my Brooks B17 Imperial. Even before using the thong, I didn't have any cutting at all with Campagnolo, Laprade, and Thomson posts, though the laces limit saddle positioning to different degrees. The fore-aft positioning is restricted, even for a Brooks. If you are sensitive to the need for a lot of setback, the Imperial lacing will not help you, with leather or conventional laces.